Typical consulting services provided by PhysElec Solutions in high-voltage engineering include, but are not limited to:
- Gas discharge physics.
- Point discharge / corona measurements, analysis and engineering (DC, AC and impulse).
- Testing of lightning protection systems under impulse and composite (DC + impulse) voltages and electric fields.
- Testing of surge protection devices according to national and international standards.
- Electric field modelling using numerical techniques.
- Insulation coordination.
PhysElec staff have decades of experience with all aspects of high-voltage engineering as it relates to lightning protection, surge protection and earthing & grounding. Examples of projects undertaken include:
- Corona studies of lightning rods at various state-of-the-art high-voltage facilities around the world;
- Impulse testing of air terminals at various state-of-the-art high-voltage facilities around the world;
- Investigations into the fundamental gas discharge physics affecting corona performance of lightning rods;
- Finite element modelling to optimise the positioning of lightning rods on buildings; and
- Investigations of side-flashing from downconductors.
Click here for a list of publications that describe some of these projects and their outcomes.